The CCO Oregon 2023 Annual Conference took place at the Salem Convention Center on Thursday, October 5th. The conference agenda spotlighted pioneering projects and programs, emphasizing provider and community partner networks, integrated care, housing strategies, alternative payment models, nutrition services, behavioral and oral health, and other endeavors.
The event drew an attendance of 365 participants and commenced with a warm welcome from Samantha Shepherd, Executive Director of CCO Oregon, followed by opening remarks from U.S. Representative Andrea Salinas.
Opening remarks were followed by a panel addressing the implementation of Oregon’s latest 1115 Medicaid Demonstration Waiver and new health related social need benefits. U.S. Representative Earl Blumenaur sent a message for attendees regarding the initiative. The panel was moderated by Rick Blackwell, CCO Oregon Board Secretary, and included:
- Marin Arreola, Health Equity Committee Chair, Governor’s Racial Justice Council of Oregon
- Dana Hittle, Medicaid Director, Oregon Health Authority
- Sarah Holland, Director of Supportive Housing and Employment Services, Central City Concern
- Melanie Westrick, Vice-President of Population Health, Trillium Community Health Plan
Message from U.S. Representative Earl Blumenauer
Over lunch, attendees learned more about Oregon’s historic new law enshrining nurse-to-patient ratios in statute with the passage of HB 2697 during the 2023 state legislative session. The panel was moderated by Matt Sinnott, CCO Oregon Board Treasurer, and included:
- Andi Easton, Vice President of Government Affairs, Hospital Association of Oregon
- Paige Spence, Director of Government Relations, Oregon Nurses Association
- State Representative Rob Nosse, Chief Sponsor of HB 2697
The closing plenary featured Oregon State Legislators sharing their perspectives and plans for upcoming legislative cycles. The panel was moderated by Sean Kolmer, CCO Oregon Board Co-Chair, and included:
- State Representative Rob Nosse, Chair, Committee on Behavioral Health and Health Care
- State Senator Deb Patterson, Chair, Committee on Health Care
- State Representative Tawna Sanchez, Co-Chair, Joint Committee on Ways and Means
- State Representative Charlie Conrad, Member, Committee on Behavioral Health and Health Care
This afternoon session began with messages for attendees from U.S. Senators Jeff Merkley and Ron Wyden.
The 2023 conference featured 11 concurrent presentation sessions demonstrating the thoughtful, industry-leading work happening in coordinated care.
- Rapid Engagement: advancing person-centered access to outpatient behavioral health presented by Amber Clegg, Deschutes County Health Services; Jeremy Fleming, PacificSource; Matthew Hatch, CareOregon; Cherryl Ramirez and Ariel Singer, Association of Oregon Community Mental Health Programs; Jennifer Wilcox, Cascadia Health
- Building a community-based organization network: Collaboration and contract design presented by Stephanie Auxier and Ifeoma Muoto, CareOregon; Holden Leung, Asian Health and Service Center; Jaeme Miranda, Familias en Acción; Win Mar Lar Kyin, Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization
- Co-locating oral health and primary care in critical access hospitals in rural Oregon presented by Shelagh Baird and JoAnn Miller, Samaritan Health Services; Linda Mann and Carrie McHill, Capitol Dental Care
- Value based payment: A better way to pay for primary care presented by Summer Boslaugh, Oregon Health Authority; Miranda Miller, Samaritan Health Group; Angela Mitchell, CareOregon
- A collaborative approach to behavioral health workforce development presented by Karen Weiner, InterCommunity Health Network CCO; Adrienne Peters, Northwest Oregon Works; Crissy Oyervides, Youth Era; Marie Laper, Lincoln County Health and Human Services
- Health benefits of school readiness and supported families presented by Shannon Buckmaster and Jenn Richter, Yamhill CCO; State Representative Lucetta Elmer; Lisa Harnisch, Marion Polk Early Learning Hub; Justin Hopkins, Willamette Health Council
- Collaborative strategies to advance the coordinated care model: This breakout session featured three shorter presentations.
- SHIFT: Strategic Healthcare Investment for Transformation presented by Jill Archer, CareOregon
- Teaching Kitchen partnership with health education classes presented by Rocio Peterson and Angie Pila Rodriguez, Yakima Valley Farm Workers
- Accelerated approval pathway drugs: Addressing cost and oversight presented by Tiffany Jones, PacificSource Community Solutions
- “Come care with us”: Expanding the workforce pipeline through education & media partnerships presented by Lindsay Gordon and Pat Mulvihill, GOBHI and Eastern Oregon CCO
- CCO partnerships at the intersection of housing and health. This session highlighted two projects in the Health Share network presented by Alyssa Craigie with Health Share of Oregon and Sarah Holland with Central City Concern.
- Administering health system funding to support access to healthy food presented by Connie Gilfillan, Meals on Wheels People; Carly Hood-Ronick, Project Access NOW; Shantae Johnson, Mudbone Grown Farm; Jonathan Weedman, CareOregon
- Integrating oral health care to improve whole-person health presented by Jennie Hensley and Trina Simmie, Mercy Foundation; Mary Ann Wren, Advantage Dental
Thank you to all the CCO Oregon members, partners, presenters, and panelists who made our 10th annual conference success!