The conference began with opening remarks from Samantha Shepherd, Executive Director of CCO Oregon, and Matt Sinnott, Co-Chair of the CCO Oregon Board of Directors and Senior Director of Government Relations at Willamette Dental.
Opening remarks were followed by a keynote address: CCO 2.0 and the Road Ahead by Pat Allen, Administrator of the Oregon Health Authority.
In the afternoon, attendees watched a video address from U.S Senator Jeff Merkley followed by a panel of elected officials from the Oregon State Legislature:
- Senator Laurie Monnes Anderson, Chair, Senate Health Care
- Representative Cedric Hayden, Vice-Chair, House Health Care
- Representative Rob Nosse, Co-Chair, Ways and Means Subcommittee on Human Services
- Representative Rachel Prusak, Member, House Health Care
The panel was facilitated by Sean Kolmer, Co-Chair of the CCO Oregon Board of Directors and Senior Vice President of Policy and Strategy at the Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems.
The 2019 conference featured over 25 presentations exemplifying the innovative and thoughtful work happening in coordinated care.
Check out the presenter bios and click on the links below to view presentation slides.
- Addressing addiction through Project ECHO: Innovative program offerings for various settings presented by Jonathan Robbins and Maggie McLain McDonnell, Oregon Health Sciences University
- Bringing substance use disorder treatment into the primary care setting: Medication Assisted Therapy, a Track for Empowering Recovery Success (It MATTERS) presented by Ilana Hull, Dara Johnson, and Nicole Antoniadis, Providence Medical Group
- Building Bridges: A Sustainable Model to Increase Successful Access to Services Across the Continuum of Care for MAT Patients presented by Alice Mollo-Christensen, Ben Schwartz, Recovery Works NW and Stacie Antoniadis, CareOregon
- CCO 2.0 policy and value-based payments presented by Chris DeMars, Director, Oregon Health Authority Transformation Center
- Community-driven investments and community-shared risk presented by Keshia Bigler, Emileigh Canalas, and Mae Pfeil, Columbia Pacific CCO
- Developing coordinated care networks to address social inequities presented by David Caress, Unite Us and Nicole Friedman, Kaiser Permanente Northwest
- Diabetes integration pilot for individuals with severe and persistent mental illness presented by Harish Asok and Alexandra (Ally) Birch, Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare
- First Tooth Training impact on children’s oral health assessments, fluoride varnishes, and other dental services presented by Sarah Bartelmann, Providence Center for Outcomes Research & Education (CORE) and Laura McKeane, AllCare Health
- FIT outreach to increase participation in colorectal cancer screening: BeneFIT study outcomes presented by Amanda Petrik and Jennifer Rivelli, Kaiser Permanente Northwest Center for Health Research
- Fostering Hope Initiative (FHI): Strong families, resilient neighborhoods
with a second presentation from Catholic Charities presented by Michael Rohwer, Curandi and Jim Seymour, Catholic Charities
- Health care transformation: Oral Health Integration Projects (OHIP) and learning collaborative presented by Aron Goffin, Multnomah County Health Department; Alyssa Franzen and Alexa Jett, CareOregon; and Kary Rapport, Neighborhood Health Center
- Implementing evidence based behavioral health care in Oregon: The ACT Model presented by Heidi Hendridx, Oregon Center of Excellence for Assertive Community Treatment
- Improving access: Oral health as a social determinant presented by Michelle Cady, Cornerstone Community Housing; Amanda Cobb, Trillium Community Health Plan; Karen Hall, Christain Hanson, and Kyna Knights, Capitol Dental Care
- Lessons learned: Community health information exchanges presented by Erick Maddox, Reliance eHealth Collaborative and Michael Heidenreich, PacificSource Health Plans
- New payment models and social determinants of health: Are these evolving together? Lessons from the Community Health Center setting presented by Carly Hood Ronick, Oregon Primary Care Association and Fred Dolgin, Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center
- Panel management strategies to optimize member engagement with primary care presented by Resa Bradeen and Jessica Young, Children’s Health Alliance and Children’s Health Foundation
- The power of storytelling as a person-centered data collection method presented by Nancy Knopf and Heather Oberst, Columbia Pacific CCO
- Prepared for high-quality patient care? Clinical orientation for new staff presented by Sarah Deines, Anayeli Franco, Julia Solano, and Kira Pietras, Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center
- Providing care coordination to a unique population presented byTonya Fogleman, Jennifer Head, Andrew Nelson, and Heather Teters, The Summit Primary Care Team at Old Town Clinic (Central City Concern)
- Purposeful intergenerational communities: Trauma informed solutions to social issues presented by Shelley Gillespie and Renee Moseley, Bridge Meadows
- The road ahead for community health improvement planning: CHIPs and the SHIP with additional presentations from Jackson Care Connect, Health Share of Oregon, and Eastern Oregon CCO and Oregon State Universitypresented by Anona Gund and Christy Hudson, Oregon Health Authority; Darin Dale, Jackson Care Connect; Paul Lindberg, United Way Columiba Gorge; Angie Treadwell, Oregon State University Extension; and Maria Tafolla, Health ShareOregon; and, West Livaudais, Oregon Health Sciences University
- Safe housing: Aging-in-place and care coordination with social service contracts presented by Sam Engel, AllCare Health CCO and Howard M Johnson and Sharon Johnson, Rebuilding Together – Rogue Valley
- Taking a public health approach: Providing oral health services in schools presented by Melissa Freeman and Tom Holt, Oregon Community Foundation; Linda Mann, Capitol Dental; and Trina McClure-Gwaltney, Mercy Foundation
- Transforming a health plan with technology for integrated care delivery under CCO 2.0 presented by LeRoy E Jones, GSI Health and Jonathan Weedman, CareOregon
- Utilizing Community Health Workers to address the underlying causes of addiction presented by Kate Gekeler, Northeast Oregon Housing Authority and Liberty Avila, Northeast Oregon Network (NEON)
- Virtual tools to help rebuild the medical neighborhood presented by Tanya Kapka, CareOregon and Swati Kumar, RubiconMD
Thank you to our 2019 annual conference sponsors!
2018 Winter Conference and Annual Meeting
The day began with the Annual Meeting and opening remarks from CCO Oregon’s Board Chair, Matt Sinnott. Next, CCO Oregon Board Member, John Duke, moderated a panel discussing “What’s next for coordinated care and where to go from here?” Panelists included:
- Jeremy Vandehey, Oregon Health Authority
- Cyreena Boston Ashby, Oregon Public Health Institute and the Oregon Health Equity Alliance
- Seamus McCarthy, Yamhill Community Care Organization
- Jen Johnstun, Primary Health
Immediately following the pre-session, CCO Oregon Executive Director Samantha Shepherd kicked off the Winter Conference for over 250 attendees and introduced the keynote, Dr. Nwando Olayiwola.
Keynote Dr. Nwando Olayiwola presents on Primary Care Integration.
The day rolled on with 16 concurrent sessions, a collection of posters displayed, exhibitors, and a final plenary addressing how we maintain funding for Medicaid and coordinated care with the following panelists:
- Senator Elizabeth Steiner Hayward, District 17
- John McConnell, Oregon Health and Science University
- Laura Etherton, Oregon Primary Care Association
- Donna Mills, Central Oregon Health Council
- Evan Saulino, Oregon Health Authority (Moderator)
Check out the presenter bios and click on the links below to view presentation slides.
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs): What are We Doing About It? presented by Dean Moshofsky and Amy Stoeber from the Children’s Health Alliance
- The Role of Family Support Specialists in Pediatric Clinics & Integrating Traditional Health Workers in Primary Care presented by LaKeesha Dumas from Multnomah County, Ally Linfoot from Clackamas County, Edna Nyamu from the Oregon Community Health Workers Association, Debra Catlin from the Oregon Doula Association, Frances Purdy from the Oregon Health Authority, and Carol Criswell from the Providence Child Center
- A Cross-Organizational Approach to Oral Health Integration in Primary Care and a Dental Medical Integration Pilot presented by Alyssa Franzen and Alexa Jett from CareOregon with Britny Chandler from InterCommunity Health Network
- A Case for Reverse Integration and the Role of Behavioral Health Homes presented by Renee Boak, Brian Don, and Jeffrey Eisen from Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare
- Project ECHO: An Innovative Model for Clinical Team Education and Training presented by Maggie McLain McDonnell and Ron Stock from the Oregon Rural Practice-Based Research Network and Christine Bernsten from HealthShare
- Transforming Healthcare through Legal Intervention and Collaborating for Vulnerable Populations presented by Rachel Arnold from the Medical Legal Partnership of Oregon and Health Share of Oregon, Laura Russell from Metropolitan Defenders, Robert Trachtenberg from the Richmond Clinic, and Cheryl Coon from Refugee Disability Benefits of Oregon
- Addressing Systemic Barriers and Serving Transgender Patients in Primary Care presented by Amy Penkin and Christina Milano from the OHSU Transgender Health Program
- Making Better Care Decisions Using Computer Simulation presented by Michael Johnson and Mark Maul from St. Charles Health System
- Supporting Health Care for Children in Foster Care from Metric to Medical Home presented by Bobby Martin and Graham Bouldin from Health Share of Oregon, Madeline Lowry Woods from Kaiser Rockwood Clinic, and Carol Endo from Randall Children’s Hospital at Legacy Emanuel
- Intimate Partner Violence in Primary Care and the Universal Education Approach presented by Tara O’Connor and Joan Fleishman from OHSU Department of Family Medicine
- Primary Care Screenings to Reduce Opioid Exposure in Vulnerable Populations presented by Paul Coelho, Josh Steenstra, Emily Marshall, and Derek Titus from the Salem Pain Clinic
- How Scribes Impact the Quadruple Aim presented by Scott Balzar, Miranda Miller, and Robert Hughes from Samaritan Family Medicine Resident Clinic
- “Addressing the Role of Nutrition in Patient Care” with four presentations:
- Registered Dietician Integration presented by Michele Guerrero from the Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic;
- How Access to Healthy Foods Impacts Health presented Lynn Knox from the Oregon Food Bank;
- Community Supported Agriculture presented by Katy Pranian from Multnomah County Health Department; and,
- Veggie Rx Intervention presented by Christine Mosbaugh from Benton County Health Department
- Housing as a Pathway to Improved Health presented by Rachel Solotaroff and Sean Hubert from Central City Concern
- Transforming Clinical Care in a Rural Emergency Department and a Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinic presented by Allison Whisenhunt from Providence Seaside Hospital and Dawn Cogliser from Options for Southern Oregon
- Implementing Integrated Behavioral Health in a Large Pediatric Practice presented by Douglas Lincoln, Erin Grady, and Audelia DeCosta from Metropolitan Pediatrics
Event Photo Policy: CCO Oregon may take photos at hosted events for CCO Oregon use only. Photos may appear on the CCO Oregon website, newsletter, social media outlets, or other future CCO Oregon communication material. By virtue of your attendance, you agree to usage of your likeness in such media.